We know how important it is to have a good night sleep and rest well. All of us have some nighttime habits that help us fall asleep better or make us more relaxed. But, did you know that if you are not doing something properly, you could actually gain weight? Here are 12 nighttime habits that you have to avoid if you want to shed those extra pounds!
1.You’re not getting enough sleep.
- Your metabolism is the most affected and it becomes much slower.
- You’ll also start feeling very hungry.
- It increases the levels of cortisol.
- You feel tired so you exercise less.
Make sure you sleep at least 8 hours a night.
2. You overeat at dinner.
- Overeating or eating too heavy food will slow down your digestion, especially during nighttime.
- If you watch TV while you’re eating, you’ll also eat more.
Try to choose a light dinner and make sure it mainly consists of vegetables and proteins.
3. You go to bed right after dinner.
- This will make you accumulate more fat cells.
- You’ll have more digestive problems.
Make sure you eat your last meal about 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed.
4. You have fried food for dinner.
- This type of food will increase the intake of calories and you won’t have time to burn them off.
- You’ll also gain more fat cells.
- You can’t have a good quality sleep.
Make sure you eat grilled, baked, or steamed recipes at night.
5. You eat spicy food at dinner.
- Spicy food as well as spices can lead to poor digestion.
- You can’t sleep well.
- Spicy food eaten at night can provoke heartburn if you spend many hours without consuming anything.
Spicy food is beneficial for speeding up your metabolism. You can eat it, but make sure you avoid it at night.
6. You have cereal or other carbohydrates for dinner.
- Cereals or other carbohydrates will give you extra energy if you take them as dinner. You won’t use it while you’re asleep.
- High-carb foods are abundant in too many refined sugars which need to be burned off immediately.
Take all kinds of salads, smoothies or fresh fruit, or high-protein foods for dinner, but take them in smaller portions.
7. You love eating dessert at night.
- White sugar and flour become fat cells.
- During the night period, you can’t burn those calories.
Take some fruit as a dessert. Think of it as a healthy candy that won’t accumulate fat in your waist.
8. You snack after dinner.
- If you take snacks after dinner, you overeat and you actually consume empty calories.
- You also get extra energy and it will definitely keep you awake.
Make sure you avoid cookies, bread, or any other sweets after dinner.
You can have a a late snack, but opt for something light and healthy and less than 200 calories.
9. You tend to skip dinner.
- Skipping dinner doesn’t help you lose much weight because it slows your metabolism.
- You’ll only feel hungrier.
- It will also cause anxiety.
- Your skin gets loose and you lose muscle tissue.
Try to eat a piece of fruit even if you don’t have time for a decent lunch or dinner.
10. You consume alcohol or caffeine.
- These are products which affect your sleep.
- They are also full of many calories.
Make sure you choose hot milk or natural smoothies. Always finish your day drinking a glass of water.
11. You go to bed late every night.
- If you go to bed past midnight, you’ll gain more fat because that’s not the natural body cycle.
- It will make you want to eat something early in the morning.
Make sure you go to sleep as soon as you feel sleepy. Include some physical exercises if you feel upbeat by the end of the day .