Beets are really unique healing vegetables. Their nutritional value is kept both raw and cooked. In ancient times, Hippocrates viewed beets as a medicinal plant. Throughout centuries beets were used to treat many diseases. They have been used in the treatment of blood disorders such as iron deficiency – anemia. They also contain a lot of iron, of all plant products iron content of the beets is the second to garlic. And the iodine content of the beets is the second to Kale. Beets not only provide your body with important nutrients and stimulate your metabolism but also saturate the body with powerful powerful antioxidants that are prevalent in red beets.
Reasons why you should include beets in your diet
- Beets contain polyphenols and betalains which reverse the effect of free radical damage and oxidative stress in people.
- Beetroot contain various vitamins: B complex vitamins, PP which strengthen capillary walls.
- Also contains a lot of minerals – potassium and folate, which aid in healthy heart; magnesium, which aids in bone health; iron and phosphorus which produce energy; copper, which destroys free radicals; iodine which is involved in the biosynthesis of thyroid hormones, and magnesium.
- Beets contain cobalt which promotes the formation of vitamin B12 (which is synthesized by intestinal microflora. Without this vitamin and folic acid the formation of red blood cells would be impossible.
- Beets rejuvenate our bodies due to folic acid, which contributes to the creation of new cells.
- Beets remove toxins from our bodies due to betalin pigments.
- They contain betacyanins, which inhibits the growth of cancer cells.
- They improve digestion due to the dietary fiber.
- They stimulate metabolism.
- Beets help digest Vitamin D in our bodies.
- They also help prevent dementia due to high concentration of nitrates which transformed in the mouth into nitrites. Researched have showed that nitrites open up the blood vessels in the body which increases blood flow and helps oxygen to get to to oxygen lacking areas.
- Beetroot contain pectin which is in greater numbers than in carrots or apples. Pectin deals with excretion of radioactive and heavy metals from the body. In addition, pectin also inhibits the spread of harmful intestinal bacteria and prevents the development of a whole range of diseases.
As you can see beetroot possess a plethora of medicinal and healing properties which also include lowering the amount of cholesterol, blood pressure, strengthening capillary vessels, providing anti-sclerotic effect and improving brain and live function, and help improve fat metabolism.