We all tend to store some food whenever we are left with some from lunch or dinner. Those leftovers can be used for the following and we all reheat it. But, some of you probably don’t know that some leftover food should never be reheated because it can affect our health seriously.
Here are 4 foods that should never be stored and used as leftovers!
Vegetables are the first type of food that should never be stored improperly or reheated. According to some experts from the Center for Food Safety, you should store leftover vegetables at -40C. In case you need to store them for longer, then freeze them. If vegetables are exposed to room temperature, then they acquire a very high level of nitrates. Some of those vegetables are: lettuce, beets, celery and spinach. Nitratesare dangerous substances which can unfortunately cause a rare blood disorder in children which is called methemoglobinemia. The symptoms include shortness of breath, seizures and fatigue.
Meals prepared with vegetable oils should never be reheated. This type of reheating is connected to stroke, heart disease, as well as increased risk of cancer. Polyunsaturated oils contain linoleic acid (corn oil, sunflower oil and canola). When we reheat them, they release HNE (4-hydroxy- trans-2-nonenal), a type of toxin from the fatty acids that tend to harm our health. This type of reheating has been connected to Huntington’s, some types of cancer, Alzheimer’s, heart disease and liver problems. Never reheat vegetable oil and use it only once!
Chicken is abundant in protein. When we reheat it, its composition can change and become more dangerous. If the meat’s inside is very hot, then you can reheat cold chicken. This is especially important if you use microwaves because they sometimes don’t heat our meals evenly. Make sure you eat chicken meat for up to 2 days. Don’t eat if afterwards!
Rice should be stored healthy if you want to ripe all of its benefits and it doesn’t harm you. You should also tend to cook it as it should because if your rice stays uncooked, it contains spores of harmful bacteria which believe it or not survive the 1st cooking process. When you leave it like that and store it at a room temperature, those harmful spores will multiply, causing numerous digestive problems. Because of their ability to survive the process of reheating, doctors and nutritionists usually recommend eat the rice at once and never reheat it! If you still want to store them, it would be better for you to keep them in the freezer!