These sugary treats aren’t doing favors, even though they are fat-free, still are packet full of sugar. Regular marshmallow contains 4 grams added sugar, and we very rarely eat a single marshmallow. Cup of mini marshmallows for desert recipe or top on hot chocolate contains 29 grams of sugar, which means over 400 empty calories and that exceeds recommended daily amount by nearly 10 grams.
Health Risk of Excess Sugar
Excess of sugar consumption increases overall calorie content; as well easily lead to unhealthy weight gain and also obesity. Foods which are high in sugar, as marshmallows, are low in nutrition as well. That means less room for vegetables, fruits, and whole grains.
Too smuch sugar has been linked to the following:
- Few cancers,as pancreatic cancer
- Teeth issues-as cavities
- Heart disease
- raised cholesterol levels
- Insulin resistance along diabetes
- Food addictions
Recipe for Healthy Marshmallow
They are fluffy honey-sweetened homemade marshmallows. They will give all flavors but none of health-compromising sugar and can be made in coconut or chocolate version.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp. gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
Instructions to make
- Lightly grease loaf pan and then cover with parchment paper – enough to hang over the sides of pan, then grease the parchment paper.
- Put ¼ cup of water in medium bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the water and set aside to soften.
- Place honey, salt, and the other ¼ cup of water in a small pot and heat on medium heat. Bring mixture to 240 degrees by using candy thermometer. Also test it by dribbling little of liquid into a bowl of ice cold water and it should be in candy stage of forming little soft balls, which when cooled in the water are taken out. 7-8 minutes are needed to reach this temperature. Now, remove from heat as soon as it’s comes at right temperature.
- Carefully mix with handy mixer, hot syrup into the gelatin mixture,by pouring hot syrup in drizzle down side of the bowl. And when it is all combined, you can add vanilla and that increase speed to high to beat it for 12- 15 minutes until the mixture is thick and fluffy, then scrap into prepared pan and leave uncovered 4-12 hours to let it dry. Cut into squares and serve them.
Coconut Version: Toast in ½ cup of coconut flakes- unsweetened and sprinkle ½ of it on the bottom of pan. Then scrap in marshmallow mixture and sprinkle with the rest of flakes.
Cocoa Version: Roll the finished and cut the marshmallows in cocoa powder.