Gout is a form of arthritis where you feel severe attacks of pain in your joints with associated tenderness and redness. The most common site of the attack is the base of the big toe.
In a nutshell people suffer from gout when urate crystals (tiny crystals formed from uric acid) get deposited in the joints. Usually uric acid is processed by your kidneys and is passed out of the body in the form of urine, however not all of the uric acid from your body can be expelled when:
- You consume way too much food that produces too much uric acid for your kidneys to process, or
- Your kidneys are unable to process and expel adequate amounts of urine.
Foods that tend to trigger excess uric acid in your body are:
- Alcoholic beverages, especially beer
- Steak and organ meat (offal)
- Drinks that are sweetened with fructose (fruit sugar). Most sodas will fall into this category
Men are more prone to suffer from gout than women. The probability of women suffering from gout significantly increases after menopause.
Although the joint on the big toe is the likeliest site for an attack of gout, it may also occur in joints located in the following body parts:
The symptoms of a gout attack can be summarized by:
- Red and Inflamed joints: Joints like toes or heels are red, warm, and sensitive to the touch. They would be swollen as well!
- Intense pain in the joints: The pain is really severe when it starts for the first time. Usually unbearable during the first 12 hours of an attack.
- Lingering after-effects: Even after an attack of gout passes, the affected area will continue to feel tender and swollen.
- Decreased joint mobility: If left untreated, there will be limited range of motion in the afflicted joints that will get progressively worse!
Powerful gout remedy
- 1 pineapple
- 1 cup of cherry juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of turmeric in powder
- Blender and food processor
- 2 to 3 teaspoons of powdered ginger or 1 inch ginger root
- Glass container with lid
Cut the pineapple’s skin and remove the stem. If you like, you can use the stem, because the stem contains bromelain in it, but you can use just the fruit too. Then, slice the fruit into chunks, and put the chunks into blender. Blend the pineapple until it is mashed up, and then add the cup of cherry juice, and sprinkle the teaspoons of turmeric and ginger. Store this mixture in a glass container, and close it well. Put the container in the refrigerator and allow the mixture to tighten up for about 10 days. For a better taste, you can add honey, and also you can play with the amounts of turmeric and ginger, according to your taste. This amazing drink can stay up to 1 month in the fridge. You can consume this mixture on a daily basis.