Our thyroid is a large endocrine gland. It is located in the neck/throat area, above the collar bone. It is a butterfly-shaped organ which stimulates our metabolism and controls our body’s circulation of calcium levels with the help of the parathyroid gland.
People usually don’t think of this gland until they feel a certain symptom or a problem. The production of the thyroid hormone can become increased or decreased and this kind of imbalances can have a negative effect on our body.
Our thyroid is a very important part of our endocrine system which has a very unique delivery system and sends hormones to the targeted organs and tissues. Essential oils can be extremely beneficial because they use the same delivery system. Some oils have been shown to support certain organs/glandular functions. You can consult with a medical professional and talk about the benefits of various essential oils, but also some modern medical treatments.
Frankincense (Boswelliafrerena), is made by a type of steam distilled from the resin collected from trees calledboswellia that can be found in Oman. Frankincense essential oil can help you support the pineal, hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
– Sandalwood (Santalum album), is steam distilled from the santalum trees wood found in India. This essential oil can also help you support the pineal, hypothalamus and pituitary gland.
– Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens), is steam distilled from the leaves of a plant called pelargonium which is native to China. -Geranium essential oil can be especially helpful for the hormone/glandular, and adrenal gland.
– Ylangylang (Canangaodorata), is steam distilled from the flowers of a plant calledylangylangwhich particularly grows in Madagascar. This type of oil is especially helpful for the hormone/glandular, and adrenal gland.
– Clove (Eugenia caryophyllata), is made from the steam distillation of the buds which originate from Madagascar. This type of essential oil can be incredible supportive for our thyroid.
– Lemongrass (Cymbopogonflexuosus), is steam distilled from the leaves of the plant called lemongrass that can be found in India. Clove essential oil along with some lemongrass essential oil can be especially beneficial for your thyroid.
– Rosemary (Rosmarinusofficinalis), is steam distilled from the leaves of Rosemary that is native to Morocco. Rosemary can be very soothing to the glands and brain function, but it also supports our adrenal gland greatly.
– Myrrh (Commiphoramyrrha), is steam distilled from the collected resin of these trees found in Ethiopia. It is a type of oil that is extremely beneficial for our overall thyroid health as well as for the immune system.
– Basil (Ocimumbasilicum), is steam distilled from the leaves of the basil plant that originates from the USA. Basil can be very helpful for our pancreas, adrenal, pineal, parathyroid and pituitary gland.
Here, we’re presenting you the best ways on how to use essential oils for an improved thyroid health:
- Just rub a drop of myrrh essential oil (mixed with some coconut oil) over the area of your thyroid gland every day.
- Rub a drop of basil essential oil on the area of the adrenal gland every morning.
- Prepare a roller ball blend. Use it on the bottom of your feet every day:
- 20 drops of myrrh
- 20 drops of frankincense
- 20 drops of basil
- 20 drops of lemongrass
Make sure you top off the roller ball with any carrier oil like for example jojoba or coconut oil.
Here are also some essential oil usage tips:
- Topical use
Apply any selection of oils diluted with some carrier oil directly over the area where your glands are or on the corresponding reflex points on your feet. In that way, you’ll avoid evaporation and prevent sensitivity.
- Aromatic use
Select several types of oils and put 5-10 drops of each one into an essential oil diffuser. You can also inhale them directly from the bottle or drops placed in your cupped hands, or just apply them to your clothing. They’ll do good in any way!